Tuesday, July 3, 2007

In 40 Years Or So

I don't think a lot of people understand where I'm coming from when it comes to my obsession with our nonprofit endeavors, but Jane sure does, and that's the most important thing for me.

Without your spouse's support... good luck. But Jane isn't just supporting me; she's egging me on. Several times now, she's told me, "This is the best thing you've done yet. I have a good feeling about it."

Now, before I go on, let me point out that this is actually the best thing that we've done yet. Jane and I are running Naples Social Action together - the Coine Foundation, too. Maybe she gives me credit for these endeavors being mine because she doesn't spend quite 100 hours a week at it, or maybe because a lot of our ideas start in my head: I have an idea, I run it by her, and she fine-tunes it or laughs at me. So maybe to her, these are "my" ideas.

In any event, here is my story: anyone can get rich - I'm convinced of it; I know too many successful people to still think amassing a fortune is anything all that tough. When I focus on it, I'm pretty good at making money myself. So sure, it's great and all to build a business from scratch (Coine Language School), and then to do it again even faster (Coine Training). I doubt I'll ever abandon those endeavors.

But... well, forty years from now, when I imagine I'll have to start slowing down and limiting my work week some, what will I have? A pile of money? A lot of people I know would say, "Yeah, great!" A couple of businesses with my name on them? Again, this is a fine life's work in many people's eyes. I agree, those are two cool things to accomplish in life.

I want to accomplish something altogether more spectacular, though. And not alone, either. I want to inspire, guide, maybe even lead others to change the world - not just a little, but fundamentally.

Imagine a world without poverty. Or, if you're one of those "realistic" people who keeps getting in the way, let's try this on for size: imagine a world where poverty occurs in only two cases:

1. Temporarily, as when there is a major economic upheaval, or when a person first immigrates to a new country, and has to start at the bottom of the labor-ladder for a year or two before moving up, or...

2. By choice. Let's face it, some people will always make bad decisions. We would be denying our fellow humans a basic right by protecting them from themselves - that's called paternalism, and it's a scourge on society when not taken in small doses. If people choose to gamble their money away, abuse drugs, go into massive debt, or just be lazy and work very little, we can't stop them. So these people may very well be poor even after our best efforts have been expended.

However, very few people will make self-defeating choices throughout their lives. If we can eradicate poverty for most of us, and create a world where we assist those who choose to find a better way and stop being poor, then I'll feel our work is done.

How do we do it? Poverty eradication is all about providing poor people with the tools they need to lift themselves from their current state.

The poor need basic, living wages, so that they can at least keep their heads above water before they decide to swim with a business of their own.

The poor need credit - not all that much, just a tiny bit to get started in business for themselves.

The poor need freedom - capitalistic freedom to create wealth, without the impediment of government or corporate corruption. Many people flee the third world because those countries don't give their citizens a chance, no matter how hard or how smart those citizens are. If your tribe is out of power and so you can't get a business license, there's no way you can win.

People need peace. War can be necessary, but most conflicts are only destructive. When war hits a nation, people are often unable to care for themselves beyond merely surviving.

People need freedom from disease. How could we ever expect sub-Saharan Africa to lift itself from its current circle of despair and failure when half of some countries' adult populations are dying of AIDS? And what of Malaria, Typhus, Cholera...? Disease hasn't been a first-world problem for two generations. We've forgotten how it can shatter lives, and economies.

People need education. If you can't read, you can't get ahead. If you have never learned to add, it will be hard for you to balance your business's books. If you do not speak the language of your country, you can forget ever escaping poverty. In the 21st century, people will need to master technology on an ever-increasing scale. Without education, you just can't get ahead.

So why am I so obsessed with our nonprofit work? I hope this doesn't sound trite or corny, because for me it isn't at all: when I look back at my life's work, I want to be proud of myself. I want to say to my wife and children and close friends, "We've done something spectacular here. We've made a difference. We can rest now."

That's why I get up in the morning. And no pot of gold ever motivated me so well.

No comments: