Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Naples Social Action

You know what I like about our work creating NSA? It's completely organic, even more than Coine Language School was in the early days.

Take our newsletter as an example. For issue #4, out 8 days ago, we used a really cool and inexpensive online service to create a hot new look - if you haven't seen it, email me and ask to get on our emailing list. I liked the look of it, as did Jane, the newsletter's editor-in-chief. So we were delighted with the results, and I must say proud.

...But quite unexpectedly, we started getting all these people contacting us asking to be on our mailing list. I mean, each of the first three issues won us a fair share of praise from well-wishers who liked the content. But with this new look, all of a sudden Naples Social Action is a media player here in Naples. I even have the executive editor of a respected magazine taking me to lunch (while Jane's away on business) to see how we can help each other.

I never intended for NSA to become a media company. But here we are. We threw some spaghetti against the wall, and it stuck. That's how I do things, and... see? Sometimes it works out.

The Bicycle Series page is another clump of spaghetti that I just figured I'd throw up there. I like to ride my bike. Naturally, that led me to make friends with other cyclists, some of whom are involved in philanthropy like me. I learned that the cycling events in town are no better coordinated than the nonprofit fundraisers, so what the heck, we knitted together a bike series.

And three days later, we started our runner's series, which we'll have posted shortly on the biking page, right underneath. More spaghetti sticking to the wall.

I think my Tigger-like enthusiasm make some people nervous. Engineers, finance types, librarians, many computer programmers - many of these folks don't get how I can pull things off. But you know what? I'm not half the flake they might think I am, for one thing - I'm actually very efficient; I just don't brag about it: I'd rather have those outside the board room just think I'm fun, if a tad eccentric. For another thing, I'm relentless. I don't sit and plan, and I don't worry if something falls flat. I just grab another strand of spaghetti and fling it against the wall. If it sticks, we know it's time to dig in!

I don't think NSA could be half as wonderful as it is if we didn't let it grow as it will. We have to try a multitude of services to the community, and see which ones the community likes, which it finds unimpressive. This experimenting is fun. I guarantee you, some day Local Social Action will be huge, and - if Jane and I are not really careful - kinda... set in its ways. But now is the fun part. Now, to me, is the part worth doing. We'll let someone else cross the i's and dot the t's.

No comments: